Hair Routine

I honestly have hair like no other. It is Thick with a capital T...which means it takes a significant amount of time to wash, condition, dry, detangle, and style. Rarely ever holds a curl (or style of any kind), is too heavy for it's own good (buns are not my friend), and knots itself up in minutes. Oof. That being said, I have come up with the perfect routine to manage my crazy mane!
step one: wash
I switched over to this Alberto VO5 clarifying shampoo a few months ago. This is perfect for me! I tend to wash my hair 2 - 3 times a week. My thick hair does an awesome job at accommodating the buildup, allowing me to wash it as little as possible. This shampoo really gets back to basics and just cleans. No funny business here. It makes my hair a clean slate for the week to come! PS: It's pretty cheap too!

step two: condition
I use John Frieda's Frizz-Ease conditioner to give my hair a smooth, silky finish. Only recently have I discovered the secret behind conditioning my hair. I split my hair into two equal sections (as if you were going to do pigtails - one section slung over each shoulder), and then finger-comb the conditioner through them equally. I only condition from the ear down...A rule I learned from my sister as practically a baby: conditioner does not touch your scalp.

step three: dry
When I turn off the water in the shower, I squeeze out as much excess water as possible from my hair. I flip over and run a towel through it (kind of aggressively, to be utterly honest) and then create the crowd-favorite turban. I leave it up as long as possible...blow-drying takes me hours, so towel-drying is really my best bet!

step four: brush
Depending on the day, this part could take me anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes. I first create my infamous deep left side part (cowlicks!) and then work from there. Again, I split my hair into two equal sections (pig-tail style). I usually start brushing on the left side, first combing out the very ends of my hair, then the middle, and eventually from the root all the way down. Just think about it: if you start at the root, you have to get out the tangles from the top, middle, and bottom - all in one stroke. Work in chunks and make your way up! This little trick is really good for avoiding breakage. When I'm done brushing I usually flip it around a couple times to loosen it up.

step five: the end!
9 out of 10 times, I let my hair fully air-dry. To eliminate frizz, poofy-ness, and dents, I try my hardest to do this without putting it up and without sleeping on it wet. If I have to sleep on it damp, I'll put it in a braid down my back.

Should we start doing more beauty posts? 
xx MGR

PS: We just started a beauty board on Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by kelly christine studio