Inspiration: Where, What, How

It's a funny thing, huh? I woke up on this gloomy Sunday morning too early and very, very uninspired. Somehow, after a few hours of simple exploration, I'm bursting with ideas and creativity. I thought I just had to share how I ride the crazy inspiration roller coaster.

Let's break it down.

phase 1 // UNINSPIRED
I don't know about you, but this is a very specific feeling for me. It's often the result of some stress, or anxiety, or exhaustion. It's a feeling I get in the pit of my stomach or the middle of my forehead. The bonus of such a distinct feeling? I can identify it and work to get rid of it.

phase 2 // IMMOBILITY
I've diagnosed my un-inspiration and now have some wheels turning. Ideas, on ideas, on ideas..they're coming like wildfire. But as hard as I try, I cannot execute them. When blogging, for instance, this becomes apparent when I'm creating draft after draft, but not writing any actual content. That's when I know I have to dig a little deeper.

phase 3 // SEARCHING
Finding inspiration. It's a kind of bliss for me. Talking to people, scrolling endlessly on the internet, or exploring my surroundings are some of my remedies. You can find inspiration anywhere. Inspiration is unique from person to person and therefore its source will be unique from person to person. I tend to explore blogs and Pinterest at this point. I could get lost in links for hours and come up with so many amazing ideas. It really is the most amazing feeling.

phase 4 // EXECUTION
I have ideas and I have the resources and creative energy to execute them. I love to blast some music and just bang it out. Want in on a little secret? Most of the blog posts you read are drafted and queued up on Saturday and Sunday mornings, by myself, in bed, with tons of Spotify playlists going. Music is key in this step. Whatever I'm playing goes hand-in-hand with my mood, and I go through so many different playlists in one sitting. I'm the kind of person that gets so into music, slower and sadder music at that, that I could literally workout to the songs you would least suspect (ie: Ben Howard). Whatever gets you going is all it takes.

And there it is. A wonderful and thrilling ride on the inspiration roller coaster. As I'm writing this, it's Sunday, it's cold, it's dreary, it's uninspired. All it took for me from 7:30 - 11:30 AM was a little searching, a lot of music, and a hint of color and excitement to get going. Just do whatever it takes to get yourself going.

Where do you find inspiration?
xx MGR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by kelly christine studio