Icons

{In order, clockwise} Diane von Furstenberg // Lilly Pulitzer // Princess Diana //
Jackie O // Grace Kelly // Kate Middleton // Grace Coddington

I feel like a really common question in a lot of scenarios is "Who is your role model?"I didn't used to know how to respond. I would blandly say my mother, my sister(s), etc. All of which are 100% true; they've served as inspirations to me better than anyone else could. But I always felt like there was a more creative and more inspired answer out there. 

I●con (n.) A person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something

I think this word can hold both general and personal meaning. There's those people that the world, in agreement, considers an icon; and then there's those people I consider icons. And for me, those are the same people that serve as tremendous inspiration in a myriad of ways.

Ever since I discovered the actual face behind the iconic wrap dresses that swept my sisters' closets, Diane von Furstenberg has been an inspiration to me - beyond her designs that seem to fill department stores around the world. "I didn't know what I wanted to do, I always knew the woman I wanted to be," is one of her quotes that stuck with me ever since I stumbled upon it..Lord only knows when and where. But it always reminds me of the Avett Brothers lyric that gets stuck in my head without fail, probably both because of its significance and the utter beauty in the music behind it: "Decide what to be and go be it." Annnnd along those same lines, I've always loved the Cat Stevens song that told me to sing out if I wanted to sing out.

I suppose all those quotes hold the same meaning, and I probably connect with it. I can relate to DVF in the fact that I don't know what I 'want to be when I grow up,' but I definitely know the woman I want to be. Being a princess, a first lady, the name behind a world famous brand, or a Vogue editor known for your crazy hair and striking personality would all be pretty cool 'big kid' jobs, but in the end I'm 14. I have 8 more years of school to decide what I want my career to be..so for now, I'm going to stick to becoming that woman I want to be. And I can assure you I'll be pulling some inspiration from so many of these wonderful women.

What's the woman you want to be? Who's the inspiration behind her?

xx MGR

PS: There's a whole bunch of these beautiful faces and more on my Icons board

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by kelly christine studio