Give Thanks

I adore Thanksgiving. What's not to love? Great food, some time with your fam, and the opener to the Christmas countdown. Yes, please! 

Family traditions are what keep my world spinning. I seriously get the most joy out of them. Our Thanksgiving plans have changed a ton over the years..but they all have awesome stories and memories. The first Thanksgiving I remember was when we were at the good old country club and there was a huge table lined up in the dining room for our entire family. My cousin got engaged that year! From there, I remember spending it at my aunt and uncle's house. One year the house was bursting at the seams, and I have photo evidence:
"Your family doesn't stop."
I'm down in the front rocking a solid bowl cut (or maybe helmut hair?) and red plaid jumper. I'm pretty sure this was the year my brother got elected family president...he still holds office to this day.

Then we transitioned into my grandparents' house. I think this is where I remember the majority of my Thanksgivings! I spent oh so much time at the kids' table there. Our grandparents' house is just about a block and a half away, so most often our family walked. One set of us would take the quick route on the busy road, while the rest would take the not-so-quick back roads. My sister and I one year were walking down the busy road (I had the potatoes, she had bottles of wine popping out of her purse #classy) when we hear a scream from a distance. I still believe to this day someone on the other route dropped the turkey. But in recent years our numbers have dwindled and we've been at my other aunt's house. It's still new, but how can I complain? 

So obviously the lovely faces in that above photo are not all my immediate family. There's a lot of us, but not that many. For the 8 of us (or at least in my eyes), Thanksgiving gets celebrated in 3 parts: Wednesday, when everyone starts to congregate and the food starts getting made; Thursday, which this year will be kicked off with a delicious breakfast for my big bro who will be spending the rest of the day at work, and then hours of everyone slaving away in the kitchen, maybe some football, and eventually we'll wander down to the party; and Friday, which might be my favorite - Thanksgiving sandwiches made from leftovers are literally the reason I live.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday!

Do you have any fun family traditions? Love Turkey Day as much as I do? Feeling extra thankful this year? Share!!
xx MGR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by kelly christine studio